Why You should stop using Facebook, WhatsApp and other crap.

Lets face it, we’ve all been there before. Going through the pile of rubbish that your ’friends’ shared whom you don’t even care about. Photographs asking you to like them or you are doomed. Filtering through all of the shit, just because you could see the photo of your crush who doesn’t even know you. That embarrassing picture you posted online; when you were out of your mind and regret it now. This list goes on and on.

But what have we learned from it? Why are we so addicted to Social media — which gives us nothing but those 50 seconds of fame, and tries to give us mild, temporary satisfaction among our peers.
I had read an answer on Quora about this what could you do after overcoming this addiction of ours.

Never believed it.

Till now.

Luckily, I was fortunate enough to go through this process a week ago.

After 1 month of pathetically slow, agonizing speeds of my 3G internet ISP, the Internet package that I had subscribed to, finally came to an end.
I didn’t think I’d survive another day without Facebook; half a day without IM. But I stood ground.
I very much wanted to so many other things — catching up on my reading habits, my homework and assignments and what not.

The next week began as an intense detoxifying exercise.
My Agenda?




HTML

  • Learning HTML
I’ve always wanted to make things. And Notepad++ was the perfect place to make it come true. I went over to The New Boston site and downloaded the videos for xHTML and CSS. (From the Internet service provided by my college, which has Facebook blocked, mind you) Those videos are awesome. A must watch for those who want to learn computer science and stuff.




Credits — http://twcdc.com/andycox/art-and-technology/412_student_posts/ashlee/assignment-3-computer-keyboard/

  • Improve my Typing accuracy & speed
Poor typing speed can be the worst embarrassment for a computer engineer. For one who writes hundreds of lines of code everyday, looking through all the keys to type a simgle word is too hard on the eyes. Months after installing a typing program in my computer, I had made little headway in improving my speed. This improved after I had much of the extra time and attention which would have distracted if I was online looking through Grumpy Cat pictures. (Still taking too long to type this post out. And I’d rather not show you my speed)





  • More time thinking things out
Everyone thinks that they have so little time in a day, and they postpone that important thing to the next. The advantage is that you won’t think that you’ve got less time and would face up to your problems. You have to face up.
I’m writing this post in MarkDown.




MarkDown Logo

I’ve learned that the only things you miss after this detox procedure are those ‘intimate’ moments of your so called ‘friends’.
Hell, you shouldn’t even be reading this. Go back, you procastinator! Just kidding. It’s good to read. But not every site and article you find on the web.

Happy Detoxing!


P.S - I am an amateur at writing. Please pardon me for any dumb errors; or rather help me correct them.
I write at Nothing of Consequence.

This post originally appeared on Medium.

Comments

  1. Good one Darshit,

    Well written, way to go. Need a language polish.

    Regards
    Avighna Menon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, I'm working on it. Sorry for the late reply, I don't update my blog as much as I'd like to.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts