When relatives come calling, you go bawling

The society is a weird entity. Sometimes a man needs a society for his well being, and the other times he needs the society for something to blame for.

The weirdest of the weird parts of the society are your relatives. Some are really good -- keeping to their own, while some others, not quite much so. It's the latter which are more "concerned" about us and our well-being - "Oh, aage kya karne waala hai aapka beta - padhai ya job?", "Kitne marks aaye?", "Itne kam kyu? Wo chintu ne to top kiya". Sometimes it feels that they are more worried about our future than we ourselves. The only thing remaining now is giving my exam on behalf of me. (BTW, if someone volunteers for it, please let me know)

Some relatives are too smart and quick thinking for their own good. It's almost a year since the following incident happened.

After doing some high octane submission stuff, I went for a thoroughly deserved Diwali holiday at my home in Bhiwandi. Unfortunately for my submission relief, a middle aged relative dadaji had to drop by my house in a couple of days. His mission - to deliver an invititation for his daughters' wedding. I didn't know what his name was, but I just knew him by sight (not that I cared about it really). So as he turned up, my parents invited him with the customary feet touch for his blessings. As he settled comfortably in our living room sofa, my parents chat him up by asking the well being of all in his family. After he delivered the invite he had come for, he was presented with a variety of Diwali homemade snacks which we Gujaratis' are famous for. Gradually, I couldn't help but ignore the ominous feeling I was getting listening to them converse.

Naturally after sometime, the conversation turned to us - the kiddos.


He: Beta, kya padh rahe ho abhi? (Son, what are you studying?)
Me: Computer Engineering Dadaji.
He: What Engineering...Com....?
Me: Computer Engineering. About Computers?!

I sheepishly added a typing action accompanying that.

At the time, I was convinced he didn't know shit I was talking about. The only word he understood was Engineering.


He: Kaunse year me ho? (What year are you in?)
Me: Third year ji.
He: So...ye Computer mein karte kya hai??
Me: Software banate hai...and we also learn how it works...
He: Oh, matlab computer kholke thik karna?? Hmmm... (Oh, you mean you repair computers?)
Me: ????? :|
Dad(trying not to offend him): Haan, aisa hi hai kuch to...(Yeah, it's somewhat like this)

I looked sharply at my Dad. He was sniggering secretly. He motioned me to take it cool.


He: Beta, tum koi course bhi kyu nahi karte fir saath me? (Why don't you do some extra course simultaneously?)

I felt this conversation was really going somewhere now. Many talk about courses in Engineering

I nodded.


He: Haan, aajkal Tally bahut demand me hai... (Tally is in demand nowadays)

I lost my marbles here.


Me: :| :| :| :| :'( :'( :'( :'(

I didn't reply anything (obviously)

Meanwhile Dad was having fits of laughter getting increasingly difficult to control.


He: Haan beta, kar lo ye...Future me bahut achcha rahega. (Do this course, it would be good for the future)

I was blank, and remained the same for the rest of the conversation. My mind blacked out.

Seriously, why don't these relatives keep their quick thinking abilities to themselves? I have no problem with getting to know someone, but I'd rather keep my well intentioned advice to myself.

It was only when he started to leave that I regained my senses.

At the door, my parents did an authentic "Aavjo"(Come back sometime again) with the whole family.

Needless to say, I had only one prayer in my heart.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts